Lars is at home today with a sore foot (hooray for sore feet!). Therefore, I am not grading papers.
What I am doing, is daydreaming about what I would do if:
1) I were super rich; and
2) I were omnipotent and could change things to how I like them.
First of all, let's get one thing straight. I would LOVE to be rich instead of broke. Love it. That would mean not worrying about money evaporating a week before the next infusion is due. It would mean more opportunities for our kids. And it would mean getting our grubby hands on that ocean-front house in Gloucester we've been fantasizing about for eons.
But I think I'd rather be omnipotent than rich, given the choice. And here's how I would remake the world if I could:
1) I'd give people the ability to talk to each other civilly, and REALLY HEAR EACH OTHER.
2) I'd give people better manners.
3) Teach the art of walking in another person's shoes.
4) Remove money from its pedestal (okay, there goes that beach house).
5) Place ethics in that pedestal.
6) Remove the CRUELTY GENE from kids, especially middle schoolers!
7) Eradicate bullying from the face of the earth (including grownup forms of it, such as the sort financial institutions and CEOs engage in).
8) Make teaching and social work HIGHLY RESPECTED and WELL-COMPENSATED jobs.
9) Make professional athletics less highly respected and less well-compensated (sorry, folks).
10) Make this world a hospitable place for those who are different, a nurturing place for those in need, and a friendly place for all.
When you get your powers, how will you change the world? Comment, please!