If you've got a kid on the autism spectrum, here are six reasons why you need an advocate:
1. She knows special education law a lot better than you do (probably).
2. She knows how to talk about your kid's needs in a way that makes your TEAM sit up and listen.
3. She's not going to burst into tears during an IEP meeting, the way you might (okay, I'm talking about myself here).
4. She'll calm you down when you are freaking out about the way your TEAM chair pronounced the words "out of district."
5. She knows about programs YOU want to know about.
6. If she's worth her salt she'll mean the difference between optimal services/placement and insufficient ones.
Of course, you may be willing and able to do it on your own. I'm not. Our advocate is a keeper -- you can find her here.